I'm having the best time learning how to use a dutch oven. Now that I've mastered Heather's lasagna, its time to venture into new things. For Memorial weekend, I tried three new recipes, which all turned out pretty good.
Cherry Cola Chicken An interesting recipe that called for Cherry Coke. It reminded me of sweet and sour chicken, which would have been good next to white rice. But out camping...not my favorite. And the general consensus is that it was just too sweet. I was relieved Kc loved it and I was able to send the leftovers home with him.
Dutch Oven Beans A recipe my Accounting Professor gave me, we all enjoyed it very much. The secret with this one is that you wait until the end to add the bell peppers, which keeps them crispy and really gives the recipe a surprise flavor everyone commented on. Try it!
¼ cup minced onions
½ cup honey
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup mustard
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pineapple pieces, with juice
1 cup water
½ onion, large chopped pieces
½ green pepper, large chopped pieces
½ yellow pepper, large chopped pieces
Cook bacon and minced onions, drain
Add all ingredients except chopped onions and peppers
Simmer for 45 minutes, until flavors have blended together
Add chopped onions and peppers
Simmer 15 additional minutes (This also works well in a crock pot)


No comments:
Post a Comment